I find technology difficult to learn. Why should I even bother? originally appeared on Quora: the place to gain and share knowledge, empowering people to learn from others and better understand the world.
Rest assured that you’re not alone! Technology is advancing so quickly that it can be hard to keep up. For many older adults, embracing new technology can be intimidating. But it doesn’t have to be.
The key is to start small with one-on-one tutoring sessions or small group classes with someone who knows their stuff and can explain it. GetSetUp’s technology classes offer a friendly, welcoming, and supportive environment and are taught by older adults to their peers. You can become tech-savvy in no time!
Still not convinced?
Here are a few reasons to take the plunge and learn how to use the technology and apps available to us today:
- Social connectedness – Older adults are at high risk of becoming socially isolated, which can lead to heart disease, cognitive decline, loneliness, anxiety, depression, and in the worst-case scenario, premature death. Staying connected through social media, email, or online classes helps you build meaningful relationships and community. Learn to use Zoom and have virtual chats with the grandkids!
- Entertainment – Have some fun! You can watch your favorite shows on streaming services, play games like Words with Friends, or even get your news delivered right to your phone.
- Banking and shopping – Save yourself a trip to the bank and do all your financial chores online. You can also have groceries, dinner, or just about anything you can imagine delivered right to your door through apps like Instacart, DoorDash, and Amazon.
- Better health – Telemedicine is a game-changer for older adults. It’s an online tool that helps you access the world of healthcare without having to leave the comfort of your own home. It’s easy and convenient and can save you time and money.
- Home safety – Smart home technology allows you to control appliances, thermostats, and other devices remotely through an internet connection on your smartphone or tablet. From voice-activated light switches to doorbells that let you see who’s at the door without opening it, smart home products can help make your everyday life more convenient and secure.
- Improved cognitive function – A recent study suggests that learning to use new technology like a tablet improved processing speed and episodic memory in older adults. Not only did they learn something new, but they also improved their brain function!
The fact that you’re reading this article means you’re already off to a great start! I hope I’ve convinced you that learning technology basics doesn’t have to be overwhelming. With the right teacher and the right class, it can be a fun and rewarding experience.
So why not begin your journey towards becoming more tech-savvy today?