The Manager, Software Development position is in the Information Technology Office (ITO) and reports to the Director of Information Technology (IT).
Learn more about this agency
The incumbent is responsible for meeting the information technology challenges of developing, enhancing, and supporting all software and application development within the court. The incumbent coordinates and oversees the work necessary to design, implement, maintain, or modify systems for solving problems or accomplishing work processes through the implementation of web-based application development, including Office 365 (O365) Power Apps, Flows and SharePoint Online. The position supervises and mentors junior application development staff.
For the full summary of duties, please see the original announcement by clicking the following link:
Manage the design, development, enhancement, testing, implementation, maintenance, and support of specialized court applications and information systems using current software languages, technologies and third-party components, software version control and other related programming languages and technologies. Apply analytical, troubleshooting, and problem-solving skills. Manage and coordinate all phases of application development projects to include planning, systems analysis, systems design, implementation, integration and testing, deployment, and maintenance through the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC).
Responsible for the development of in-house applications (client-server, web-based) and cloud, SharePoint, and O365 solutions. Solicit user requirements, create requirement documentation, and incorporate user requirements into applications or web sites and pages. Exercise expert judgment and understanding of application server development, middleware integration and Commercial-Off-The-Shelf product integration. Analyze chambers and support office goals and informational needs to establish a necessary information base needed for the design, implementation and training of new and innovative application and software solutions needed to meet the court’s information technology needs.
Review and analyze existing applications programs, as well as programs in development, to ensure the efficiency, effectiveness, and data security of those programs and to review and evaluate requests for program enhancements and bug fixes. Perform feature and functional testing of new software releases and coordinate update tasks with the application development team. Support ITO, chambers, and other staff, as necessary. Develop and maintain local court technical documentation for court application systems.
Create detailed documentation and reports for management regarding all application development projects. Draft correspondence, reports, and charts for submittal to the Chief Judge, Circuit Executive, Director of IT, and/or Chief Deputy Clerk. Proactively keep the Circuit Executive and other court unit managers informed about activities, operations, etc., in ITO with the potential to impact other areas of the court. Provide technical information and advice in the preparation of annual budget figures, including needs for upgrading hardware and software, and resources needed to ensure timely responses to the court’s application development needs.
Lead, motivate, mentor, coach, and develop the ITO application development team by creating and maintaining an atmosphere that emphasizes the importance of constant improvement, trust, positivity, and teamwork within ITO and between ITO and all court units. Plan, assign, and direct the activities of professional and technical staff involved in the design, development, and systems analysis functions required to create new computer application programs or install and implement software purchased from outside vendors. Review the work of subordinates for accuracy and completeness, evaluate performance, keep position descriptions up to date, provide formal and informal performance feedback, and maintain pertinent documentation to justify awards, non-monetary incentives, salary increases and demotions.
30 – CL-30.
Conditions of Employment
This is an Excepted Appointment and At-Will position. Federal government civil service classifications or regulations do not apply. All offers of employment are provisional pending successful completion of a background check or investigation and a favorable employment suitability determination. This position is subject to Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) for payroll deposit.
Must be a U. S. citizen or eligible to work in the United States. Non-citizens may be interviewed and considered for employment, but employment offers will only be made to individuals who qualify under one of the exceptions in 8 U.S.C.§ 1324b(a)(3)(B). Under 8 U.S.C.§1324b(a)(3)(B), a lawful permanent resident seeking citizenship may not apply for citizenship until he or she has been a permanent resident for at least five years (three years if seeking naturalization as a spouse of a citizen), at which point he or she must apply for citizenship within six months of becoming eligible, and must complete the process within two years of applying (unless there is a delay caused by the processors of the application). Non-citizens who have not been permanent residents for five years will be required to execute an affidavit that they intend to apply for citizenship when they become eligible to do so.
- CL-29 ($82,928 – $134,833): A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in computer science or other field closely related to the subject matter of this position and three years of specialized experience in software and application development that included at least two years of supervising or managing application development staff.
- CL-30 ($98,010 – $159,310): A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in computer science or other field closely related to the subject matter of this position and five years of specialized experience in software and application development that includes at least three years supervising or managing application development staff.
- Knowledge of cloud-based solutions using O365 Power Apps, Power BI, Flows, and SharePoint Online, etc.
- Knowledge of and experience in architecting, developing, testing, supporting, and documenting software applications.
- Proven experience leading software development teams to meet the information technology needs of an organization.
- Must be an innovative and creative problem solver who can effectively work with staff to define and develop solutions to business problems.
- Ability to work independently in a team environment as well as the ability to manage multiple priorities within strict deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- A demonstrated and proven track record leading software development teams of two or more staff.
- Experience in delivering major application projects that have had a significant impact on
an organization’s business operations.
- Knowledge of and experience with Microsoft SQL Server and SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) or other relational databases such as MySQL, Informix, etc.
- Knowledge of and experience with both Windows Server 2016/2019 and Red Hat Linux server operating systems.
- Experience working in the information technology field for the federal judiciary.
A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in computer science or other field closely related to the subject matter of this position.
The court reserves the right to modify the conditions of this announcement, commence interviews immediately, withdraw the announcement, or fill the position at any time, any of which actions may occur without notice.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Applicants will also be evaluated based upon review of their qualifications and the application package (including any relevant test scores).
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Cover letter, resume, and completion of the provided online application (AO 78) and testing.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.